FranaisEnglish

Lower Normandy

Restaurant Home Page >> Our Region

The most beautiful places in our region

SEES Town

Sees is mainly known for its religious heritage and history of episcopal city. The town is an episcopal see and has a Gothic cathedral of remarkably bold architecture.

Notre-Dame Cathedral is a Gothic building of the twelfth / thirteenth century. The Cathedral has an organ Parisot and is enhanced by the same technique as the night lighting of the Eiffel Tower

The abbey of Saint-Martin of the twelfth and thirteenth centuries : if the abbey became a private place, the Church of Our Lady of the Plaza is public (bas-reliefs of the sixteenth century, and organ loft of the Renaissance) .

The Basilica of the Immaculate Conception of the nineteenth century. It's a sumptuous modern channel of the Immaculate Conception, a resort of pilgrims.

The building of the chapter, incorrectly called "canonical chapel, " dating from the twelfth century, rebuilt in the thirteenth century, fourteenth century and eighteenth century. Heavily revised in 1963, was one of the last vestiges of the old enclosures canonical.

Hotel-Dieu, classified chapel with paintings of Conté.

The palace Argentré (former bishop of the eighteenth century) by the architect Joseph Brousseau, now being the culture county office.

The O Castle

The O Castle was built on the site of an ancient fortress of the XIth century. It was built in 1484 by John O, captain of the Scottish Guard of Francis 1st. It was later embellished by Charles-Robert O and Francois O in the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries.

The castle is built on stilts on an island in the center of a pond. The enclosure has a rectangular shape flanked with two towers, contains a courtyard with a gallery upstairs; the arcades have carved columns. The walkway could date from the early Renaissance. The castle has also a renaissance pavilion, an orangery and a chapel from the Nineteenth century.

It is surrounded by moats with bridges.

The Medavy Castle
The Medavy Castle was reconstructed from 1705 to 1723 on the ruins of an ancient fortress, where there is still two towers of the fifteenth century, the tower of St. Peter and St. John Tower (transformed into a chapel). Three double-arched bridges provide access to the courtyard. The castle is surrounded by French gardens.
The Ecouves Forest
Royal Forest since 1220, the forest had been very damaged before but a development who began in 1863 make it again as a forest. In 1667, King Louis XIV implanted 325 stones of granite Hertré (still visible) to mark the limits of the famous aristocratic hunts.

Placed before the revolution, stones of granite signs are placed near the intersections. Among 80 today, they are classified has Historical Monuments.

In 1882 was captured the last wolf in the forest.

On the August 12th and 13th 1944, a detachment of the 2nd Armored Division of General Leclerc - the armored column Roumiantzoff - who had just freed Alençonet which was on the way to Argentan, joined by the subgroup Putz, violently opposed to the armored tanks of to the Ninth Panzer Division, hidden in the Ecouves forest. The son of Colonel Remy 18 years old and eighteen others of his comrades were killed. Three Sherman tanks were lost during these battles; one of the tanks, hit by a German antitank, at a place called The Gatey, is now located at the intersection of Cross Médavy to commemorate these events (common of Fontenai-the-Louvet).

Haras Du Pin
In 1665, Colbert and Louis XIV decided to create the Stud Administration in order to raise standards and proceed to more research into breed improvement. The site was chosen in 1714 for the quality of pasture and water supply facilities. The area of Pine is acquired by Louis de Béchameil, State Councillor, by the King of the government.The current buildings (stables and castle) was built during the reign of Louis XV, between 1715 and 1730, by architect Pierre Sparkling, on plans of Robert de Cotte, first architect of the King since the death of Jules Hardouin-Mansart .The writer Jean de La Varende named it as the "Versailles of the Horse. " The park is designed by, Le Nôtre, in the tradition of French gardens. In 1789, he narrowly escaped a total destruction. The Stud was occupied by the Prussians in 1871 and Germans in 1940 and was in the heart of the Battle of Normandy site, near Falaise, without suffering from any damage.